Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Montezuma, Costa Rica

Tuesday 5.24 / NO PHOTOS to post from here. Internet prohibitive / primitive /3kbp sec.

I am still in Montezuma, Costa Rica. I have decided to stay here and rest for a few days. This is a sleepy little village on the pacific coast, out on the end of a peninsula. I drove down to Puntarenas and then took the ferry boat over yesterday. It carried about 20 cars with room for more. Three decks for about an hour – arriving in Paquera. Then 44 kilometers drive over more mountains. (there are mountains everywhere I’ve been.) Im staying in a little hotel just off the beach. I was given the choice of with/without air conditioning, with/without hot water. My room is $40us per night with/with. Not much to do here so I’ll stay and do nothing. Perfect pace. Wed & Thur. Are nothing days. Friday I will drive back to the ferry, then on to San Jose for the night. Saturday I fly home.

Today I got the perfect hammock photo, several beach shots and worked in a nap. (while shooting the hammock there were two guys chopping down coconuts. The owner told me it’s a hazard because if they fell and hit someone it could kill them. They chopped one open for me to drink the fresh milk. Im not starving yet!) Tomorrow I ‘may’ hike up to see the waterfall. I ‘may’ lay in the hammock with my book pretending to read.

I have no phone, no tv but finished book one today and started book two. I have done no shopping and frankly don’t know when I might fit it into my schedule…

Dined on lobster last night. ($13us)

I hope all is well back in the world?

Xo skip
________________________________________________________
P.S. things you can’t see in photos but really need to:
volcano shots,
beach shots,
lobster,
hammock,
coconut,
me,
howler monkey,
the roads!

P.S.S. I got stopped for speeding on the way over from Arenal to Puntarenas. Just like a scene from a B movie. “you can pay me cash now or “have- a- problem,” lose your passport and be stuck waiting for the banks to open…” ($40us – no problems.) this all garbled between his limited English and my impossible Spanish. While he stands in the roadway. Cars zipping past. No problemo! He was super friendly and smiled and I WAS speeding. No ticket and his kids get new shoes. Doing my part for local economy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite burglary, run-in with the federales, rain storms and axle-cracking potholes, are you loving it, or what??
i'll have to travel south next time I go and check out Jaco and Puntarenas.
can't remember if I mentioned the crocs to you. I'll have to investigate. There is a local story about this crazy gringo that visited CR some time ago. He was warned about climbing to high up Arenal and then got burned badly by lava. Then, he was wrned about the crocs and went swimming in a river and he was killed by one. They conveniently drag you down and dorwn you prior to eating you.
And I see you have discovered the local dish with every meal, including breakfast. Gallo Pinto. Black beans and rice with seasonings.
enjoy your travels!
QOFE